Breast Cancer: All What You Need to Know
There are some changes that will occur in the breast which could be a signal to breast cancer. It is very important for every individual to know how their breast normally looks like and feel. This will make it easy for you to identify any change or occurrence that might happen around the breast and you will be able to get the appropriate treatment as at when due.
Your understanding of various parts of the breast and their function will enable you to have insight of any abnormalities or changes. Certainly, there are some early warning signs of breast cancer that you should know and take cognizance of.
The most common symptom of breast cancer is usually known as lump. This is a situation whereby there exists a sharp pain in your breast with some tenderness and it is firstly detected by men and women. In some instances, breast cancer might not show any sign at the early stage as time detection can go a long way in curing it.
What can lead to pain and tenderness?
Anyone that is experiencing pain usually believes something is wrong somewhere and in a situation whereby a woman feel pain or tenderness in their breast, she would assume that it is a breast cancer. Meanwhile, there are several factors that can contribute to breast pain and they include:
- Hormonal changes due to menstruation
- Breast cysts
- Some type of birth control pills
- Too tight and unfit bra
- Large breast
Early signs of breast cancer
Sometimes, lump is detected and mistaken for breast cancer. Although, it is a possible warning but there are more to it. There are some early signs of breast cancer for everyone to watch out for:
- Lumps inside the breast or underarm area
- Change in the size of breast and shape
- Persistent pain in a specific area
- Sudden discharge of nipple
- A sore or rash around the nipple
- Darkening, swelling, or redness of the breast
- Inversion of the nipple or other side of the breast.
- Breast or nipple pain
- Swollen lymph modes
- Nipple retraction (when it turns inward)
Meanwhile, it is pertinent to note that those changes mightn’t necessarily means cancer as it could be as a result of benign breast conditions when you identify those signs you should consult a medical doctor.
When there is a lump which is hard with irregular edges, there can be some cancerous conditions. There are some later signs of breast cancer and they are:
- Enlargement of one breast
- When the veins on the breast becomes very clear and visible
- Unintentional weight loss
- Pains in vagina
- Dimpling of the breast surface
- Heaviness and tenderness in the breast
- Palpable tumor
- Burning sensation
Breast cancer in men
Men don’t really experience breast cancer but it is possible. It is most common to old age and very rare at any age. Men can also have issue with their breast too by developing breast tissue which will later result to some cancerous changes. Breast cancer for men isn’t really common unlike women and it is because male breast cells don’t usually develop.
The most common sign of breast cancer in men is a lump that is around the breast tissue. Aside lump, other symptoms include:
- Nipple retraction
- Nipple discharge
- Thickening of the breast tissue
- Swelling and redness
- Skin irritation and itchiness
Since most men don’t usually go for medical checkup for breast tissue, men breast cancer is mostly diagnosed later.
Some people tend to have high possibility of contacting breast cancer than others. In case anybody observe any of the above symptoms, it is important to visit the doctor. According to American College of Physicians, there are some factors that can increase the risk of breast cancer, they are:
- Personal history of breast cancer
- Genetic factor
- Exposure to chest radiation at childhood
Types of breast cancer:
There are mainly two different categories that talk about the nature of breast cancer. They are Noninvasive cancer and Invasive cancer. Noninvasive cancer is a type of cancer that is referred to as stage 0 because it hasn’t spread from the original tissue while Invasive cancer is a cancer that has spread to surrounding tissues which are categorized as stage 1, 2, 3, or 4.
The tissue affected which depend on the type of cancer.
- Ductal carcinoma is formed in the lining of the milk ducts. This is the most known type of breast cancer by people.
- Lobular carcinoma is formed in the lobules of the breast. Lobules are spots where milk is produced inside the breast.
- Sarcoma is a cancer presence in the connecting tissue of the breast. It is not really common.
Possible treatments for breast cancer:
The treatment varies as it depends on the stage and type of cancer. Meanwhile, there are quite few treatments that are being used by medical doctors to fight against breast cancer. They include:
- Lumpectomy: This is a process whereby the doctor will have to remove the tumor while leaving the breast intact.
- Mastectomy: This process is when the doctor removes all the breast tissue including tumor and connecting tissue through surgery.
- Chemotherapy: This is the most used treatment for breast cancer. It is all about the use of anticancer drugs.
- Radiation: This is the use of X-rays to treat cancer
- Hormone and targeted therapy: This is effective in a case whereby either genes or hormones contributed to cancer’s growth.
Preventions of breast cancer:
A great way to fight cancer is early detection because breast cancer can be easily treated and cured when detected at the early stage. Therefore, if you notice any strange changes on your breast, you should speak up with your doctor about when you can start scheduling regular mammograms.
- 8 Natural Ways to Get Rid of Facial Hair That Work Very Well
- Here is What Happen to your Body If You Start Eating 3 Dates Every Day for a Week
- How to Reduce Flabby Stomach Fat with One Tablespoon of this Homemade Syrup
- Reasons Why You Should Eat Garlic with Empty Stomach
- Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs): All What You Need to Know