Causes of Leg cramps
Although, the underlying cause(s) of cramps is yet to be known, it is suggested that some condition can be attached to the cramps which are:
1. When you slouch rather than sitting.
2. When you take too much time while sitting.
3. Bad posture
4. Overexertion of the muscles.
6. Liver disease
7. Muscle fatigue
8. Cancer treatment
9. Chronic kidney failure
Here are home remedies to leg cramps:
It is advisable to gently massage the leg in order to relieve leg cramps. Also, The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) suggested the following home remedies:
1. You should always stretch and massage the muscle.
2. You should stop the activity that lead to the cramp.
3. Try and hold the leg in a stretched position until the cramp stopped.
4. Always apply heat to muscles that are tight or tense (you can purchase heat packs online)
5. Use cold packs on tender muscles
6. You can take a little warm shower
Also, some people choose to add supplements to their remedy such as magnesium just to relieve the cramps. Studies however suggested that older adults might not benefit from such treatment likewise women during pregnancy.
Exercise such as a few minutes on a stationary bike or treadmill before going to bed are rather suggested to help relieve the cramps.
Presently, there is no medical dosage that is recommended for cramps but an over-the-counter (OTC) pain-reliever can help. Supplements such as calcium channel blockers, multivitamins, and vitamin B-12 can also assist in relieving the cramps.
Note that there is no genuine evidence that nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs ( NSAIDs ), calcium, or potassium are of any benefit.
Pages: 1 2 3